Jose Rizal's Retraction

This has been the greatest controversy and most talked about and most debated about Rizal. Below is Rizal’s retraction letter originally written in Spanish translated into English. However the said retraction has some sorts of copy issues…quote issues and formula issues. Whether Jose Rizal has retracted or not, that’s still not proven.
I declare myself a catholic and in this Religion in which I was born and educated I wish to live and die.



I retract with all my heart whatever in my words, writings, publications and conduct has been contrary to my character as son of the Catholic Church. I believe and I confess whatever she teaches and I submit to whatever she demands. I abominate Masonry, as the enemy which is of the Church, and as a Society prohibited by the Church. The Diocesan Prelate may, as the Superior Ecclesiastical Authority, make public this spontaneous manifestation of mine in order to repair the scandal which my acts may have caused and so that God and people may pardon me.

Manila 29 of December of 1896
Jose Rizal